The role of the Health Department is to:
- Answer calls from the public and medical community regarding exposure, symptoms, and treatment recommendations.
- Assist in investigating the risk of individuals to exposure, consult with the state Bureau of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control, and recommend appropriate action.
- Provide prophylactic treatment to exposed individuals.
- Educate the public and health care providers about the risk of exposure and appropriate actions to take when necessary.
- Collect and monitor information on cases or exposures in Jefferson County.